Case Study: Internship

I completed an internship late 2013, at The Showroom gallery in Edgware. The Showroom is one of the first East End galleries in London and, marked its twenty years as a publicly funded venue with a move to a new area occupying a space on Penfold Street near Edgware Road and the Lisson Gallery.

The Showroom is a space for contemporary art that is focused on a collaborative and process-driven approach to production, be that artwork, exhibitions, discussions, publications, knowledge and relationships. They are continually committed to supporting artists who have not previously had significant exposure in London.

showroom

Follow the link below to the gallery site……

http://www.theshowroom.org/participation.html?id=1212

Summary and Reflection

During my time with the Showroom Gallery, my duties ranged from helping the technicians with practical jobs and some administrative duties. The hands on practical duties was something I enjoyed and the years of DIY experience and use of power tools proved very useful here. I also got to partake in helping out at PIP, a charitable organisation, with artist, Katrin Boehm, who had collaborated on a project with the gallery. I particularly enjoyed this part of the internship, which counted for almost half my time with the Showroom. I found the experience rewarding and an insight into the therapeutic qualities art can have on people as an aid to self expression. It also highlighted the importance these qualities have played on a personal level too.

Practical/Technical

1. Hanging posters for exhibitions
  2. Installing and de-installing shows and exhibitions
  3. General repair and maintenance jobs in the building

photo

However, the administrative side to the organisation was very much a new experience. It has been nearly thirty years since I worked in an office and things were not digitalised as they are today. My duties were limited because of my lack of computer experience in areas such as Excel. Also the organisation used Apple Mac and, at the time, I had only ever used Windows. I was introduced to spreadsheets and, although I didn’t create any from scratch, I did get to work on existing ones. I have since purchased a book called Excel 2011 for Mac and intend to learn more in this area.

Administration

1. Sorting through company email inbox
  2. keeping in touch with their invigilating staff while helping put together the roster for shows and exhibitions.
  3. Sourcing and ordering for hospitality
  4. Filing and archiving

PIP and Katrin Boehm

1. Meeting and working with adults with learning difficulties
  2. Adapting myself to the individual learning needs and capabilities
  3. Working in a group on collaborative project
  4. Discussing, listening and contributing to ideas
  5. Helping those with learning difficulties to realise and develop their ideas and contributions
  6. Fund raising with collection box